An AMERICAN movie about KOREANS?!
If I told you that there was an American comedy movie in English, with an entirely Asian cast, about a Korean family, would you believe me? What if I also told you that Epik High Tablo’s wife, Kang Hye Jung was in it… would you believe me? And also, if I told you that the entire movie was written and directed by a Korean American woman would you believe me? Well… you better, because there actually is. This is not exactly related to my personal adventures here in Korea, but it’s something that is really important to me as a Korean-American. And as the clever tagline says, THIS (for once) IS NOT A FOREIGN FILM.
Back in California, I am a student at UC Irvine and also part of a Korean cultural awareness club. Through the club, we were able to get in contact with an ambitious Korean American director by the name of Christine Yoo. We learned that Director Yoo had made a movie about Koreans for Hollywood. So we arranged to have her come and speak at one of our events and it greatly shocked me about the amount of struggles she went through to make this film.
Truth is, Yoo wrote the script many years ago, and it had even got picked up by a well-known film company. But to her dismay, the company let her know that they had picked a different film to sponsor over hers that they found to be similar, but would probably appeal to a larger American audience. That movie was the greatly successful My Big Fat Greek Wedding.
Since then, Yoo struggled long and hard to get the movie done on her own. She personally had to network all throughout Los Angeles to Korean companies, store owners, and actors/actresses because it was difficult for an Asian-American woman to be taken seriously in Hollywood. Her and her team flew out to Korea and amazingly they were able to get Kang Hye Jung on board (a very well-known and acclaimed actress in Korea / Old Boy) for it.
The cast which includes many recognizable faces, has been traveling the nation trying to spread word about their film. Why must it be so difficult to have Asians be taken seriously by studios and all other Americans? We too are part of America.
Triumphantly, with much struggle and incredible effort, it looks like it can be possible for an Asian-American movie to REALLY make it in theaters! I don’t know about you all, but I’m sick and tired of us Asians being portrayed as ninjas, the weird best friend, or the comedic “fob” relief. I cannot say that this movie will not enforce any of those stereotypes (because I haven’t seen it), but for once, I’d like to see a movie that I can laugh with because I can relate to it. What about you? I ask all of you to support their campaign and overthrow the studios’ idea of what shouldn’t be in theaters.
Please watch the trailer/videos, reblog, and support the cause! (:
LIKE their Facebook Page!
- jji-gae likes this
- exploringcolours reblogged this from omgyong
- omgyong reblogged this from hyo0ng
- skrtj likes this
- ekows likes this
- spacecadetrogers likes this
- shjika likes this
- kang-aesook reblogged this from memoirsinseoul
- prophecysky203 likes this
- noonanoire likes this
- sarahssaem likes this
- hyo0ng reblogged this from memoirsinseoul
- inkbouquet likes this
- peach-faced likes this
- littlestbionicgirl likes this
- herblondness likes this
- mabtv3 reblogged this from mykoreanadopteestory
- aki-ane likes this
- aki-ane reblogged this from sweetxsecret and added:
- myhappenings likes this
- lettucebug reblogged this from memoirsinseoul and added:
- lettucebug likes this
- dammit-erin likes this
- livexlaughxlearn likes this
- stellarxfresh reblogged this from xxjassy-cocoxx
- beguileiota likes this
- amijangbaresherseoul likes this
- taroo likes this
- iyellitfromtherooftops likes this
- itsmiyeon likes this
- marcinhaunts likes this
- onimajutsu likes this
- animeangel778 likes this
- susurrations likes this
- selly-jelly likes this
- sampatches reblogged this from continueplease
- wannabee reblogged this from memoirsinseoul
- anvilofgay likes this
- seoullista reblogged this from d-litefully
- seoullista likes this
- seven5three likes this
- d-litefully reblogged this from continueplease
- awfuckk likes this
- xxkiriexx reblogged this from continueplease
- xxkiriexx likes this
- continueplease reblogged this from osakabrownsuga
- snitchesbecray reblogged this from kaorijoy
- nerdycrochet likes this
- kaorijoy reblogged this from trickydickdollar and added: